Welcome, interested speaker!
interactUSG 2018 Featured Web Sessions will occur on Friday, September 14th 2018 from 9:45am-2:00pm at The Classic Center in Athens, GA.
- 9:45 a.m.: Eric Sembrat, Introduction/State of Web
- 9:55 a.m.: Break
- 10 a.m.: Ashton Earnhardt, The Power of a Single Platform for University Websites – This talk will cover the most recent successful approaches to solving this problem, key results of successful implementation, the technology stack involved and the most common advantages and disadvantages with examples from real-world organizations.
- 10:30 a.m.: Daniel Marchant, Not All Services Can Be Micro – Discussion about micro services, practicalities of them and how to design services that make sense.
- 11 a.m.: Benjamin Kovach, A Box of Chaos: The Generative Artist’s Toolkit – Every artist has their tools – paint, pens, canvases, or film – that they use on a daily basis. Have you ever wondered what a generative artist’s box of tools looks like? What algorithms do we use? How do we deal with color? How do we make code-generated artwork appear natural? In this talk, we will reach our hands into the toolkit of a generative artist together and discuss what we find inside. We’ll touch on a variety of simple techniques that you can utilize and combine to produce interesting works of art, today!
- 11:30 a.m.: Sean Reid, Using Design Systems to Maintain Product Sanity – Having a unified system can take some of the sting out of product design and development. With today’s front-end frameworks, and principles like Atomic Design, designers and developers can work together to quickly deliver, and iterate, a product that best fits a client’s needs.
- 12 p.m.: Lunch
- 1 p.m.: Robin Fay, Using WordPress for Document Management – Are you tasked with managing documentation? Do you wish that SOMEONE would pull together and share documentation in one place on the web, but you are afraid to volunteer for fear of endless work? WordPress can easily manage and share documents through a variety of approaches from out of the box solutions via plugins to a more DIY approach through custom post types. We’ll explore document version control, private and public space, integration of Google Docs, and more.
- 1:30 p.m.: Daniel Fowler, Bridging the gap between redesigns – Giant websites require constant maintenance, but usually at the cost of forgetting the original vision. In this session, we will explore strategies to keep a website on target years after a major redesign.